Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Did WTEN just re-air a three month old story, no ABC did

Last night I was watching News10 at 11, on WTEN, the local ABC station in Albany, NY, when a story about Hidden fees came on. It was done by ABC News reporter Bill Weir. Immediately I realized I had seen the story someplace in the past and I jumped to the conclusion that News10 re-aired the piece.

The story was originally done for a story on the July 15, 2009 Nightline. I thought it was odd that they were re-airing, a story from Nightline on News10 at 11, for two reasons. One, why re-air a story so many moths later, but two; stories on Nightline usually run around 3-5 minutes, as the show typically only has 3 stories from reporters, and a story so long on a local newscast is almost unheard of.

So, this morning I looked into it a little more, and found this out. On Monday night's ABC World News they aired the Bill Weir piece (which aired later on NEWS10 at 11). But, it was a much shorter piece then the original nightline story, from a 5 minute and 45 second story, on Nightline in July; to a 3 minute story on Monday night's World News. This is when I realized that News10 must have just used the report from ABC, seeing how WTEN is affiliated with ABC they have access to all of their stoires. Therefore it was ABC, not News10 that re-used and edited the story . My thought is that it could have had something to do with Monday being a holiday and the lack of news, that ABC News decided to re-air the piece; but shame on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment